Forge Dam in Sheffield is one of my favourite parks and local family walks.
I love it because it always feels like somewhere special, there’s just a unique atmosphere about it.
Here’s a videos showing a walk from Forge Dam to Endcliffe Park which is a great way to see Forge Dam:
6 Reasons why you’ll love Forge Dam in Sheffield:
- The park is free to visit and accessible by public transport. Jump on a 120 Bus to Fulwood and get off just before the terminus at Brookhouse Hill, walk down Brookhouse Hill, look out for the house on the corner at the bottom with a white gate. Go down that track. Past some horses and into Forge Dam. The playground, cafe and ducks are on the right hand side.
- The cafe serves hot, delicious and home-cooked food at very reasonable prices, great coffee, and ice creams/lollies for the warmer months! They have vegan options, breakfasts, burgers, paninis, snacks, cold drinks, cakes and sweet treats, too!
- The water is great for fun for kids who love splashing, paddling and throwing sticks in water!
- There is a lot of nature around Forge Dam; you can see ducks, birds and forage throughout all seasons.
- The 2 mile (approx) walk from Forge Dam to Endcliffe Park is a fantastic, free day out and easy walk. It is a straight walk so you can’t get lost, and on the way you will pass lots of interesting stuff like a waterfall, bridges, stepping stones, Shepherds Wheel museum before ending up at Endcliffe Park. That’s two great parks on either end.
- Shade always covers most of the park thanks to the lovely nature and trees around, so it is green, cool on hot days, and secluded; it never feels busy, you don’t have to worry about traffic, and there’s lots to exploring to be had!
Have you been to Forge Dam? We love it all year round. A picnic outside the cafe in the hot months, and warming up with chips and coffee before a winters walk in the cold months. Eric loves Forge Dam because of the ducks, muddy puddle jumping, woods and the big slide in the playground. You can’t go wrong!
See my new and updated Forge Dam to Endcliffe Park walk here:
What is your favourite local park? While you’re here, have a read this post to find more outdoors things to do!