What’s on this weekend in and around Sheffield for kids January 19/20
Hello! How are you? Welcome to a weekend roundup and happy Wednesday. Weekend roundups feature an events guide for family friendly stuff going on in/around Sheffield plus lots of lovely day out ideas for you.
I’m going to keep it short this week, mainly because of the weather! So unpredictable… we could be basking in sunshine, jumping in puddles or building snowmen who knows… the weather keeps changing every time I check.
And so I will put a little list of weather dependent ideas below featuring 10 for indoors and 10 for outdoors. This, combined with the events going on this weekend should be more than enough whatever the weather. Also don’t forget to check the bucket lists on here and search for whatever category you’re looking for! 🙂
Cannon Hall Farm have a good deal for January going on, including the weekends. £4.95 per person instead of £6.95 which includes everything; just show the voucher on arrival here.
Book a table at Medieval Mayhem so you know you can guarantee entry!
Matlock Farm Park have also slashed their prices for January. £7 adults and kids over 2 £5.
It’s only £12 at the moment to visit Flamingo Land Resort, Yorkshire at the weekends. The Zoo Plus Package includes 5 rides for young children, sea lion show, Peter Rabbit appearances, plus access to the whole zoo, aquarium, play areas and swimming pool. Free for under 3’s. Not too bad, really, just wrap up warm or go swimming if it’s really cold out! Read this review before you go to find top tips.
Get outside and do the free Zog trail at Sherwood Pines.
Family cinema highlight? Hey Duggee showing at Vue Cinema on Saturday.
Help Deplastic Heeley Woods on Saturday. Meet at 10am, all supplies provided, children welcome!
See beauty and the beast at Shiregreen Community Centre, Saturday evening. Tickets £5.
Get bargains galore at the relaunch of RSPCA Second Hand Superstore this weekend in S9.
Have a little plod around Heeley City Farm and warm upon the cafe (there’s toys in there!)
Stay warm and visit a museum. All free: Try Wonderlab at National Science & Media Museum in Bradford, see dinosaurs at Manchester Museum, have fun with light and sound in Experiment! at MSI Museum, Leeds City Museum have a birthday party on Saturday!, don’t forget it’s free returns to Eureka! if you’ve been before, and National Space Museum in Leicester. See a demonstration at National Railway Museum in York, and lots more here.
Alternatively, a little further away, try Hassop Station Cafe. It’s family friendly, has toys, playground, plus the option of a short walk into Bakewell.
Visit Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet; a unique 18th century industrial works. Open Saturday & Sunday.
Find a park with a cafe in Sheffield, especially if it’s chilly outside!
Magna Science Adventure Centre is open again as usual after a 6 week closure. There’s indoor and outdoor options, plus annual pass upgrades available. It’ll be open 10am-4pm this weekend and cafe open. Book online to save 10%.
Free family workshops every weekend during term time at Hepworth Wakefield. This Sunday it’s Ink Printing.
Most importantly, what are you doing these weekend? Let me know your plans if you have made them by commenting below.
I’m considering Hepworth on Sunday; we only went 2 weekends ago for another ink related activity and had a fantastic free day out. But, it all depends on the weather for us… if it’s wet and super cold traveling on buses/trains really makes it not great, to be honest! We are trying Capoeira on Saturday; a 3-5 year a Brazilian art form class.. I’m intrigued to see what Eric thinks.
Oh, and if you want to stay local this weekend and need something FREE to do in Sheffield don’t forget your local children’s libraries. They can be a lifesaver if it’s chilly, wet and you’re skint!
Weather dependent ideas for What’s on this weekend in and around Sheffield for kids January 19/20
10 for indoors;
- A World Inside a Book – Gruffalos, Dragons & Other Stories exhibition at Z-arts in Manchester, various dates and times throughout half-term and up until February 2020.
- Tropical World in Leeds. A small but fun indoor tropical house and zoo in Roundhay Park.
- MSI Museum in Manchester; free entry and one of our favourite museums in England.
- Make a special trip to Thinktank Museum in Birmingham, a huge museum with just about everything and something for all ages. The best museum we visited in 2018.
- Weston Park Museum, Sheffield. Free entry and popular with children for a reason! Family friendly cafe and indoor picnic area. Get this free trail to download or print here.
- Kelham Island Museum, Sheffield. Indoor play area, engines, Sheffield steel history, Transport Gallery, and cafe. Not open on Saturdays.
- FREE indoor options in Sheffield in this top 8 ideas of FREE days out on a rainy day in Sheffield list.
- Visit everyone’s favourite museum for little ones: Eureka! The National Children’s Museum! Entertainment and activities on during half term, plus free returns for 12 months at no extra cost. Lots of hands on stuff to see, do and play with!
- The Deep, Hull. Super popular large aquarium right on the harbour in Hull with penguins and rare breeds of fish.
- Choose any of these amazing family friendly interactive museums for a fun packed indoors day out.
10 for outdoors;
- Free Zog Trail at Sherwood Forest (and don’t forget Sherwood Forest Railway. Open “every day from the 17th February until the end of November, running from 11am.)
- Free day out at Rufford Abbey Country Park
- One of these top English Heritage family days out close to Sheffield
- Free Room on the broom trail at Anglers Country Park (visitors centre & cafe closed until spring)
- Yorkshire Wildlife Park for a fun day out suitable for all ages & fantastic play areas
- Fun day out at White Post Farm
- Boggart trail at Longshaw Estate. You can buy a little sheet/map in the cafe there but you don’t need to. There’s a copy of it here to look at or save to your phone before you go.
- Belton House and the fantastic adventure playgrounds!
- RHS Garden Harlow Carr for a lovely day out with plenty of wonderful play areas, Betty’s Tea Room, woodlands, gardens and picnic areas. One of our top days out from 2018.
- Flamingo Land with discounted entry offers during Winter.
Thank you for reading. Have a fantastic weekend! If you found this useful please share with your family & friends. <3