Christmas can be an expensive time of year. And to add to that there’s also the vast amount of Christmas events going on… most of which come at a cost. But don’t worry, because if you are looking for something cheap or free to do in Sheffield this year with kids there’s lots of options to choose from. So if you’re on a budget, or need to save some money for gifts instead, choose one of these instead of forking out on tickets for a huge event instead. 🙂 13 ideas for cheap and free Christmas family fun in Sheffield
13 ideas for cheap and free Christmas family fun in Sheffield
- Free grotto. Save your pennies and take the kids to a free grotto with gift at Towsure in Hillsborough, adults get free mince pie & mulled wine if you purchase something from the store, too.
- Meet Santa for free. On December 9th in Orchard Square, Father Christmas will be paying a visit. Take photos, give him your lists and receive a sweet treat!
- Visit the Santa’s Post Office in Sheffield on Chapel Walk – it’s free and with the help of elves children can write a letter to Father Christmas.
- Not far from Sheffield, Barnsley have lots of festive fun going on on December 9th in the town centre. At the Christmas Super Saturday, you’ll be able to see lots of festive characters throughout the town centre and in various locations. There’s a parade, stalls, crafts in the museums and entertainment. The event is free.
- Breakfast and crafts: children’s craft sessions on Sunday December 10th at The Stags Head pub kids can get breakfast and do crafts for £3. On Saturday 9th in Sheffield city centre, there’s free children’s crafts at Orchard Square!
- It’s free entry to Heeley City Farm’s winter fayre on December 9th. It’s open 11am-3pm and there’s a grotto, crafts, food and drink, rides, blacksmiths and so much more festive fun to enjoy.
- Wrap up warm and go on a woodland walk. Collect some leaves, sticks and acorns to take home and make lovely Christmas decorations for the tree. Or maybe warm up with a hot chocolate in one of these top cosy Sheffield parks with cafes?
- Take some festive photos in the city centre! The decorations in town make some lovely (and free) Christmas photo props/backdrops. Sheffield Winter Garden is all decorated and you’ll be able to see the most adorable Christmas fairy houses, elves, trolls and a Christmas tree. Out in the Peace Garden there’s a huge present out on the grass which is all lit up – you can even go inside it. Get snapping! 😀
- Get your face painted all festive for free! On December 10th in orchard square kids face painting is free of charge 12-3pm.
- If you have an annual pass Tropical Butterfly House admission to the park includes a visit to Santa’s grotto at no extra cost and there’s some nice decorations for photos, too, so don’t miss this opportunity.
- Kids are free at Christmas at storrs wood on the weekend of Saturday 16th-17th at Storrs Wood enjoy brass band, minced pies & mulled wine, Santa’s grotto, treasure hunt and more. Children are free and adults are only £1.
- It’s only £2 entry and kids free at High Storrs Christmas Fayre on Saturday December 9th. Grotto, face paints, raffle, stalls and much, much more. Enjoy!
- There’s a free santa and puppet reindeer parade at Meadowhall throughout December. On December 16th just a stones throw away from Sheffield, in Rotherham a magical reindeer parade is on in the town centre with father Christmas from 10:30-3:30pm and it’s free parking, too.