Playmania in Barnsley have had a refurb, and it looks great! This is one of the first soft play centres I ever went with Eric, and it still remains on my list of top 3. I love the location, how there’s so much more to do that just the soft play as it’s in the historical Elsecar Heritage Centre, it’s in a nice old building with real lighting, there’s activities, clubs and sensory groups, the cafe is good and it’s just… nice. I always enjoy it when I go there.
Good or Bad? Playmania Indoor Play Centre, Barnsley
- Good: The new refurb means that it’s clean, bright and fresh.
- Good: There’s more than just soft play. In the separate area (with a safety gate) for little ones especially are some sensory things (bubbles, glow egg and reading corner) and puzzles, small slide and ball pool. In the big play frame you’ll find tunnels, ropes, big slides, ball shoots and more. Aside from playing they have regular activities, character breakfasts’ and children’s groups on.
- Bad: It’s far from Sheffield. If you don’t drive, it can take a while to get there. Either catch the train from Sheffield train station (only 12 mins) then a 10 minute stroll, or two buses.
- Good: The play centre is in Elsecar Heritage Centre, a living museum centre with antique and gift shops, cafe, toy shop and an historical steam railway. There is a great park down the road, too, Elsecar Park, which I really recommend. You can totally make a day out of being in the area.
- Bad: Price. It’s £4.95 for under 5’s and £5.95 for over 5’s, however adults are free, and that includes any extra activities too. Under 5’s are free, and there is a free baby sensory morning activity which is great.
- Good: Food menu. There’s a variety of food and drink, hot and cold, snacks, coffee and gluten free/dairy free options.
My verdict?… Good! We like this play centre a lot 🙂
Find Playmania Barnsley at Elsecar Heritage Centre, Wath Rd, Elsecar, Barnsley S74 8HJ, UK
Bus? Many buses stop outside the heritage centre on either Wath Road or opposite the Heritage Centre on Wentworth Road.
Train? 10 minute stroll up a hill is Elsecar train station which takes 12 minutes to Sheffield.